Watch the video for this training portion here:
Step 2: Upload Your Data Set
- To upload a data set, click on the Data Sets tab.
- A popup will appear; click to attach your .csv
- TIP: Keep it simple! You only need the columns you plan to use. Most of the time that includes only the First Name, Last Name, and Phone Number.
- TIP: Format is important! You’ll want to be sure that the First Name and Last Name are in separate columns and correctly formatted. For example, make sure the names are not in all caps because the system will pull exactly what you have. It’s also best if your phone numbers don’t include any special characters such as dashes or parentheses (it’s fine to leave the ‘1’ in front of the number)
- Once you have attached your .csv, click the blue ‘Preview’ button.
- Next you need to name your columns to tell our system how to read it.
- Click the dropup menu on top of each column and select the appropriate names for each (i.e. FIRST_NAME, LAST_NAME, PHONE, etc.)
- If the first line of your data file is the header, click the checkbox that says “The first line is CSV header,” to tell our system to ignore that first line
- Give your data set a name so you can identify it later
- Our system will automatically de-dupe your data for you to make sure you only text each person once. Be sure that the ‘PHONE’ option is selected from the dropdown menu.
- Once you click ‘Import’ your data set will be queued for upload. This may take several minutes depending on how large your data set is. For this reason, we recommend leaving the option selected that says, “Send an email when import is finished” so that you’re notified when your data set is ready to use.
- Click ‘Import’ when you’re ready to upload!
You will then see your data set appear in the side menu under ‘Data Sets’ where you’ll be able to click on it to see details. Click on the tabs to see a full list of contacts, uploading progress, and complete stats.
NOTE: If the total number of contacts uploaded is less than the number of contacts in your original .csv, this is due to our system de-duping your data and removing any numbers that were listed more than once.
NOTE: If you want to reuse a data set, you will need to Update the Status of your list. As you will notice, each contact is in the ‘Ready’ state when you first upload them. Once you’ve texted them, they will be in the ‘Done’ state. This is a safety measure to ensure that each person is only texted once with the message you send out. If you would like to text the same list again, you will need to make all of your contacts ‘Ready’ again. To do this, click the red ‘Update Status’ button in the upper right and select the appropriate option. This will reset your list so that you are able to use it again.