How to RumbleUp
Portal Walkthrough in 5 Steps
Step 1: Log into your Portal
Step 2: Upload your Data Set(s)
Step 3: Create your Message(s)
Step 4: Test your Message & Invite your Agents
Step 5: Send, View & Reply to Messages
Step 1: Log into your Portal
- Use the credentials sent to you via email from email@example.com to log into your campaign at https://admin.rumbleup.com/admin
- If it’s your first time logging on, please fill in the General Details for your campaign
- Enter in your official campaign name
- Upload your logo
- Password to join the campaign: This is the password that all of your Agents will use to log into your campaign on the app. We provide a default password but we recommend changing this to something unique (keep in mind that it is case sensitive). This password will be automatically included in the onboarding email you will send to your Agents when you invite them to download the app and join your campaign.
- Phone numbers for testing: Enter in the cell phone numbers of everyone who you would like to receive the test text messages you will need to send out before making your message live. Once you have finished creating your message, you will go into the app and test it out by sending it to the numbers you list here.
- Once you have finished entering in your General Details, the Billing tab will appear. Click on that to pay the activation fee* and enter in your credit card info.
Once your billing info has processed, you’re all set and ready to go! You now have access to our full dashboard and navigation tabs. You can update any information you included in the onboarding wizard by going to the setup tabs:
- General Details
- Admins (change your password & invite additional admins here)
- Update Log
You can find our Help Desk at the top of the screen which is full of helpful articles you can read to help you along.
Step 2: Upload Your Data Set(s)
- To upload a data set, click on the Data Sets tab.
- A popup will appear; click to attach your .csv
- TIP: Keep it simple! You only need the columns you plan to use. Most of the time that’s just First Name, Last Name, and Phone Number.
- TIP: Format is important! You’ll want to be sure that the First Name and Last Name are in separate columns and correctly formatted. For example, make sure the names are not in all caps because the system will pull exactly what you have. It’s also best if your phone numbers don’t include any special characters such as dashes or parentheses (it’s fine to leave the ‘1’ in front of the number)
- Once you have attached your .csv, click the blue ‘Preview’ button.
- Next you need to name your columns to tell our system how to read it.
- Click the dropup menu on top of each column and select the appropriate names for each (i.e. FIRST_NAME, LAST_NAME, PHONE, etc.)
- If the first line of your data file is the header, click the checkbox that says “The first line is CSV header,” to tell our system to ignore that first line
- Give your data set a name so you can identify it later
- Our system will automatically de-dupe your data for you to make sure you only text each person once. Be sure that the ‘PHONE’ option is selected from the dropdown menu.
- Once you click ‘Import’ your data set will be queued for upload. This may take several minutes depending on how large your data set is. For this reason, we recommend leaving the option selected that says, “Send an email when import is finished” so that you’re notified when your data set is ready to use.
- Click ‘Import’ when you’re ready to upload!
You will then see your data set appear in the side menu under ‘Data Sets’ where you’ll be able to click on it to see details. Click on the tabs to see a full list of contacts, uploading progress, and complete stats.
NOTE: If the total number of contacts uploaded is less than the number of contacts in your original .csv, this is due to our system de-duping your data and removing any numbers that were listed more than once.
NOTE: If you want to reuse a data set, you will need to Update the Status of your list. As you will notice, each contact is in the ‘Ready’ state when you first upload them. Once you’ve texted them, they will be in the ‘Done’ state. This is a safety measure to ensure that each person is only texted once with the message you send out. If you would like to text the same list again, you will need to make all of your contacts ‘Ready’ again. To do this, click the red ‘Update Status’ button in the upper right and select the appropriate option. This will reset your list so that you are able to use it again.
Step 3: Create Your Message
- To create your message, click on the Messages tab.
- Choose what kind of message you want to create
- SMS: Includes only text (can also include a link)
- MMS: Includes text plus a media attachment (picture, video, gif, etc.)
- Once you choose which type of message you would like to create, you’ll be prompted with a popup that explains ‘Testing Status’ which is the default. Please read this and note that:
- A data set is required, but the phone numbers will be replaced with the numbers you provided in the General Details screen to allow you to preview actual SMS/MMS messages without sending to the actual contacts yet.
- The Agent(s) sending the test messages must be assigned the 'testing' role in order to view the messages in testing mode in the app. To assign the tester role(s), go to the Agents tab on the side menu, click the blue text that says ‘Manage Agent’ and click ‘Set Tester Role’
- Click OK to acknowledge and you’ll be brought to the screen where you’ll create and edit your message
- Give your message a title
- Unless you want to add specific instructions for your Agents about how to send messages, you can leave the ‘Agent Training Tips and Notes’ field as the default. This is the text that your Agents will be prompted with in the app right before they tap to begin sending the message you’ve created.
- Select the data set you want to use
- Select the area code you would prefer for your proxy numbers. Your proxy number is the number your message is going to appear to be sent from. It is the number the recipient will see as sending them the message.
TIP: We always recommend securing proxy numbers with the same area code as the people you are texting. Naturally, people are much more likely to trust a message from a random number if that number shares their area code.
- Write your message in the ‘Message to Send’ field
- Your message must be 160 characters or less (or it will be sent as 2 separate messages)
- Use Placeholders to auto-fill information (see additional doc for full descriptions)
- Write a few pre-scripted responses for your Agents
- These are responses that your Agents will be able to select from in the app to quickly respond to people (in addition to being able to type their own unique response)
TIP: You can typically expect three main types of responses: positive, negative, & DND/Wrong Numbers. We recommend creating a response for each of these as a minimum. Remember to separate each with a new line.
- Attach your media attachment (if creating an MMS message)
- Click Save
Step 4: Test Your Message & Invite your Agents
To test your message, you will need to invite yourself to become an Agent and join your campaign.
This is the same process you’ll complete when you’re ready to invite all of your other volunteers/team members to become Agents and join your campaign. You can add everyone all at once if you wish, but keep in mind that only those who you assign the ‘Tester’ role to will be able to see anything until you have finished testing your message and make it Live.
- To invite yourself (and others) as Agents, click on the ‘Agents’ tab
- Click on the green ‘Invite Agents’ button
- You’ll be prompted with a popup that includes our default email invite
- Enter in your email subject line
- Edit the message if you wish
- Enter in all the email addresses of those you wish to invite (include yourself!)
- Click send
- Everyone you included will then receive an email invite which includes instructions on how to download the app, including links and the password you set to join the campaign
TIP: Be sure to view the email on your phone in order for the links to work
- Follow the instructions to download the app and join your campaign
- Once you have successfully joined your campaign on the app, you should see a blank screen that says, “Nothing right now, please check back later” (this is because your message is in Testing mode). You should also be able to see yourself added as an Agent in the portal if you refresh the screen.
- To Test your message, first make sure you have assigned yourself (or whoever is going to send the test messages) the ‘Tester’ role.
- To assign the tester role(s), go to the Agents tab on the side menu in the portal, click the blue text that says ‘Manage Agent’ on the right hand side of the Agent's name, and click ‘Set Tester Role’
- Once you have assigned yourself the Tester role, refresh your app (pull down from the top) and you should be able to see your message in testing mode
- Tap on the message
- Send your test message to your designated testers (which should include you!)
- If you’re happy with how your message looks, you’re ready to start sending for real!
Step 5: View and Reply to Messages
- Invite the rest of your Agents if you haven’t already done so
- Make your message Live (select ‘Live’ from the dropdown in the portal when editing your message)
- Send send send!
Once your Agents start sending texts, you can view and manage all of those conversations in the Conversations tab.
Here you can view all of the messages that have been sent by your Agents and all the replies you’ve received.
While we highly recommend using the app to reply to incoming responses, you can also do so via the portal.
To reply to messages via the portal, simply click on the paper airplane icon on the right hand side. This will bring up a popup screen with a text box where you can write a reply.
Use the filters at the top to view messages for a specific Action, or view messages in a certain status.
Explanation of Filters:
No filter- All messages
Unanswered- Recipient replied, Agent has not responded
Replied- Agent has responded
Positive Replies- Recipient replied positively
Not Delivered- Message unable to send
Reported- Message marked as abusive
DND- Recipient asked to be marked as ‘Do Not Disturb’
Quarantined- Agent edited the message before sending it, these messages need to be approved/disapproved by an admin before they are sent
Download a CSV report of conversation data by applying the correct filters and clicking the ‘Download’ button in the top right of the screen.
Additional tips & info
This dropdown is where you can manage general settings at the outset of your campaign.
→ General Details
Here is where you can add a logo for your campaign, enter in basic info, and set your campaign password
Here is where you can create and send onboarding emails to people you would like to become Agents. Don’t forget to include your campaign password!
→ Campaign Admins
Here is where you can manage your admins. Admins are people who have access to the portal. To add an admin, click the blue ‘Create’ button in the upper right. To edit an admin's details, click the little pencil and pad icon next to their name. This is also where you can add special privileges to an admin.
→ Reports Scheduling
Here is where you can edit the setting for how often you receive reports for your campaign and who receives them. Select which items you’d like to receive reports about in the Report Types drop down.
→ Admin Update Log
Here is where you can see an entire history of what admins have been doing in the portal. Use the Search field to lookup a specific Action or Admin. Keep in mind that our team is constantly running tests to make sure things are running smoothly so don’t be alarmed if you see a lot of admin activity from members of our team
Getting in Touch With RumbleUp Support
If you have any additional questions or are experiencing problems with anything, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
This email goes to our entire team so it’s your best bet for having your question answered quickly.